Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gettin' Crafty (Part 1)

With most of my time spent at home over the past several months, I've had the motivation and a bit of time (in between naps and after Caleb's bedtime) to get my craft-groove on. After working long hours for 4 years, I forgot just how much I enjoy making things. Most things have revolved around getting the nursery put together or documenting Caleb's first year (a.k.a scrapbooking), but I'm now venturing into the remodeling of our bedroom and the basement (more on those things to come later). For now, here are the before and after photos of Caleb's room:

Before
(even before we moved in)
After!

These are the blackout curtains I made last week - who knew curtains were so tedious and took SOOOOO long??? I was excited at first about learning to sew... until I realized that making curtains is 5% actual sewing and 95% measuring, ironing, measuring again, cutting, ironing again, pinning, unpinning and ironing one last time for good measure. Given custom-made, lined curtains would have cost hundreds (many hundreds), I'd say it's all worth it. I'm working on curtains for the basement now... if I have time, I'll take pics along the way and do a step-by-step DIY curtain post on the blog later.   

Here's my pinterest-inspired frame in Caleb's room. The great thing about this is that all of the photos are pinned on, meaning they can easily be changed out as Caleb grows. Let me know if you'd like to know how it was made and I can try to explain.

Another pinterest inspiration - I painted the tree on the wall and made the letters before Caleb came along. We didn't stick the letters on the wall until the night before I was induced since we were keeping the name a secret.  I still remember how fun it was to finally put them up knowing we'd meet the little man the next day.

Here's another look at the room with the curtains opened. You can't tell now, but we originally screwed the curtain rod in way too high... it looked so awkward! After filling in the holes and repainting those parts of the wall, we finally had the  curtains up. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

sarah, this is so unbelievably cute! love the pinterest frame....have been planning to do that myself! you're so talented! hope caleb's doin well!